Today I was nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award by the very talented E.M. Castellan. If you haven’t already – check out her awesome blog for great book reviews, author interviews and tips for writers of epic fantasy. She is also the driving force behind the very exciting new blog There And Draft Again: A Fellowship of Fantasy Writers which officially launches later today (1 December). I’ll be contributing along with some cool writerly friends – so drop by and check us out!
So by accepting this award I need to tell you seven things about myself.
1. I’m overly excited about the new Hobbit movie. NZ tends to go a little Middle Earth crazy every time Peter Jackson makes one of those movies, and it’s one of those rare times when I can come out of my Tolkien closet.
2. The first time my husband called me for a date I was watching Stargate Atlantis. Although he’s not a reader he watches all manner of sci-fi and fantasy with me… (true love indeed)!
3. One of the scariest things I’ve ever seen are the weeping angels on Dr Who. Stone angels with sharp teeth that move when you aren’t looking… Even writing this I want to keep checking over my shoulder. *shudders*
4. Despite being terrible at computer games – I am the Plants v Zombies queen in our house. It’s the only game my son asks me for help. (This is a very big deal).
5. My all time favourite band is U2. I play them on loop, and they make up over half of my play-list for The Fall of the Kings.
6. I am a cat person. We have 2 kittens; Caramel Paws a large and beautiful tabby who dislikes being held, but who at this very moment is being wrapped in a baby blanket as he’s trying to sleep (and pretend the children aren’t there), and Bella a tiny black and white female with big foxy ears who bosses her much bigger brother about, but will share her love with pretty much anyone.
7. The best piece of writing advice I’ve ever received: Write what you love to read.
Thanks for the nomination E.M. Castellan!
And if you want to check out people I find to be Inspiring Bloggers (I feel like I’m nominating the same people over and over, but they have all encouraged me in some way and their blogs are well worth following):
Aimee Salter – who is the poster child for her blog’s motto: “There’s a word for a writer who never gives up… published” – Joe Konrath
Janice Hardy – who gives great writing tips and always replies to your comments!
Yesenia Vargas – whose Friday Features pull together the best of the writing blogs each week.
K L Schwengel – a fellow fantasy writer with a great sense of humour!
Have an awesome weekend – and let me know which blogs inspire you. I love to hear from you!